I started this blog in February this year, inspired by the little things in life. The things we so easily forget because most of the time we’re too busy with the things, that in the end, don’t matter that much at all. Sometimes it’s good to take a step back and be in the moment. To accept the things as they are and love them that way. This is something I didn’t do enough for the past few years, but became more important along the way. It’s just the little things that do the trick and this are the little things that are currently making me smile.
1. The smell of autumn. Autumn arrived with a lot of rain and wind as usual and it makes a lot of people grumpy. I, on the other hand, love the arrival of autumn. The smell of rainy air (is that even the right way to describe…?), trees changing color and I already spotted some chestnuts! All these things remind me of my childhood when my mom, little sister and I used to put on our wellies and stroll down the park searching for chestnuts. At home we made spiders of them while drinking hot chocolate.
2. The closet affair. Organizing my closet is one the my favorite spring and autumn rituals. But at the same time it’s not that much fun at all. Working myself through piles of clothing that I still like, but totally forget during my morning rituals. And then… there’s the throwing away and selling part. Oh my. I wish those clothes could sell themselves. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely want to do something to get more money but it is very time consuming. Well, this should be a happy things and it is! I love the feeling when it’s all done. The organized closet (for a week), a lot of new outfit inspiration and A LOT space for a whole new wardrobe. Yay! Let the project begin. And maybe there’s something in it for you later on ;)
3. Finishing a big to do (or a small one). Since I’m almost finished with my big school project I’m a professional in making to do lists! It always makes me calm down (sometimes for a few seconds, but still…) and it’s so much fun to finish all the little tasks. I even cheat by writing down tasks I just did, but weren’t on the list and cross them immediately. Works like a charm!
4. Kittens! Who doesn’t like kittens! My sister and dad cheer me up whole day by sending me cute photos of our little Abu. Even the simplest capture makes me smile like an idiot. (More cute overload soon!)
5. Candles. Autumn means candles all over our apartment and a grumpy boyfriend ;) When it gets darker outside my candle addictions takes over. I like a cozy and warm home especially with the smell of Clean Cotton or Christmas Cookie.
6. Clean sheets. There is nothing better than clean crispy sheets at the end of the (long and busy/lazy) day. If I didn’t have to change them myself I would jump in a clean bed every single night!
7. Tea and coffee dates all day long. One of my favorite girlfriend dates! Drinking tea or coffee and enjoying each others company. Just as simple as that.
8. Fluffy jumpers. My favorite piece of clothing during eh.. the whole year I guess. Sweaters, hoodies, big cardigans, knitted jumpers, especially chunky knitted over sized jumpers and cardigans. Yes please! Lots of them. I just made room in my closet…
9. Freshly painted nails. I even like the smell of nail polish. Yes, I know. And only the sight of perfectly polished nails makes me smile. Girls…
10. Getting home before it starts raining cats and dogs. Best thing about autumn and winter is sitting on the couch with a big cup of tea and that over sized jumper and the smell of clean cotton candles and nail polish.
Wishing you a happy start of the new season.
What are your current happy things? Feel free to post them (or a link to your blogpost) in the comments and don’t forget to mention me ;)